Saturday, December 19, 2009

18/12 (II)


 After ice cream, we toured Illuma for more eateries which seem worth the try, for our next visit. As we were walking, my hunger pangs started developing(AGAIN). I craved somthing savoury after that overwhelming sweetness in my palate. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it is located right besideMarble Slab Creamery. You wouldn't miss it. The Mini Oriental Burgers on the menu caught my eye, and it was only $4.50!! They were served in sets of 3(above). Just the right price and right amount for a craving. I convinced Nat to eat again and share the meal with me. I dragged him inside and we placed the order. We chose garlic mantou buns for the burger buns(out of steamed/fried/garlic), and battered fish fillet, crispy lean pork and black pepper beef for the respective fillings. The burgers were unique. The mantou buns gave it an exquisite taste as compared to the usual sesame buns. The crispy pork was up to satisfaction. The dory fish was a little tough, but the batter was just right; crispy, and not too oily. We saved what we believed was the best for last; the black pepper beef burger. The doneness of the beef was well done, and the texture was pretty alright, not too tough, and rather juicy. The black pepper sauce wasn't over-powering and complemented the beef well. Overall, we were satisfied.:) We made a promise to each other to try the 7-Heaven triple decker delight at $47.77 which caught Nat's eye. It consisted of 7 mini oriental burgers, chicken wings, fries, chicken chipolatas, and a few other things which aren't coming to my mind right now. We called for the bill and left to continue our tour for a little while longer. We found another restaurant oppsite the ice cream haven, called The Mini Burger. Something from the menu which appealed to my palates was their 12-inch hotdog bun and 8-inch giant burger(definitely not as big as the New York New York one -which i will be displaying in one of my following posts- ), but still, it was considered MEGA to that outlet, and you know I love big stuff X). I vowed to purchase that on my next visit. After that we went to the first floor of Bugis Junction to look around. There's a really good little otak shop there selling various flavours of otak presented in many unique ways(on toast, wrappeed in a roll, baked in a scone, used as pie filling, etc.), and a muffin/chocolate shop which claims 'No Butter, Less Sugar' in their muffins, for health freaks out there. I would recommend these places and suggest you check 'em out. ;) trust my taste!



 The gluttons then left Bugis and went their seperate ways. I met my mom, cousin and nephew for dinner at Swensen's. The place of dining was suggested by me as there was a dish in the papers I was dying to try: Chilli Crab soup with Soft-Shell crab(above). Being a hardcore chilli crap lover, i knew i HAD to give it a try. As you can see above, the chilli crab soup was served in a breadbowl, with thousand island by the side as a dip for the soft-shell crab(but i mostly used the soup as a dip). The soft-shell crab was seasoned in black pepper. Overall, the dish wasn't anything to shout about. The soup was alright. It was nice, but could be spicier. My palates have a fetish for extreme spicyness, so don't blame me. It's consistency suited that of a soup, as it was too thick, which would then be more suited as a gravy for crab. The soft-shell crab was pretty merely average. It would have prefered more flesh, and a little more crumbly-ness and crispiness in the batter coating it, but then again for $16.80, you can't complain much. The breadbowl was quite good though; crispy and nicely browned on the outside, softened and moistened on the inside by the soup. The presentation though, I must say, is rather creative, one that ought to be commended.

Well, that's all for the day. I enjoyed it pretty much! Stay tuned for more to come... I've barely even started!;) Hasta la vista, babeh~

No comments:

Post a Comment