Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tomorrow is MIIINNE =D



I was just watching Jamie's American Road Trip on Discovery Travel & Living. It broascasted Jamie in NY, 'shunning the glamour of Manhattan to discover an underground gastronomic subculture run by the Big Apple's most colourful culinary personalities!' A dish that caught my attention was Dang Dang Mian(above), which Jamie tried at a Chinese restaurant there. A traditional Chinese dish, so simple yet flavourful and savoured by many! The ingredients used at Jamie's place of visit was soft white la mian noodles, which were handmade right from scratch, soya sauce, chopped scallions, some chicken powder thingy, freshly crushed Sze Chuan peppers, homemade chilli oil(i think peanut oil or sesame oil would be a preferance), and last but definitely not least, minced pork. After some research, i found there there are variations available for this dish, such as the addition of Chinese sesame paste/ finely chopped garlic & ginger, chic/veg. stock. Apparently in some recipes, egg noodles/whole wheat noodles are used instead of the traditional la mian, and whole Sze Chuan peppercorns could be used instead of the crushed ones, all these according to one's individual taste. I've decided to try out this dish for dinner tmr night, so I told my mom not to cook. Gosh, I really hope it turns out well, and is even edible in the first place!!=0 I'm pretty excited already:):):)

=FUN FACTS=
According to the research I did on Dang Dang Mian, it is also known as 'over the shoulder noodles' because of street vendors who served the dish, from their portable kitchen, dangling off a stick balanced on their shoulders.

Alright, bedtime for me. Good night all!^^

No comments:

Post a Comment